Tips For Safety At Home
- Install effective locks on all doors and windows and be sure to use them. Never leave your door unlocked, even for a moment.
- Install a peephole viewer in your door and never open your door without knowing who is on the other side.
- When moving into a new home or apartment, make sure the locks are replaced or re-keyed.
- If you live in an apartment, avoid being in the laundry room or garage by yourself, especially at night.
- If you live alone, use only your last name and first initial on your mailbox and in telephone directories.
- Don't let strangers into your home, no matter what the reason or emergency. Offer to make an emergency phone call while they wait outside.
- If you come home and find a door or window open or signs of forced entry. DON'T GO IN! Instead, call the police.
- Never mention that you, a friend or a neighbor lives alone or is at home alone. If you are in public or on a cell phone, don't broadcast your plans so strangers can overhear.
- Keep entrances well lit. It is not uncommon for a criminal to remove, unscrew or break bulbs in entryways.
- Always have your door key ready so you can enter your home without delay.
- When friends or family drop you off at home or work, have them wait until you are safely inside before leaving and do the same for your friends and family.