These Are Your Rights
|The Windcrest Police Department hopes to gain the trust and respect of sexual assault victims by offering this guarantee that emphasizes privacy, sensitivity and understanding.
- We will meet with you privately,
- We will not release your name to the public or the press. In addition, whether or not you choose to press charges, you have the right under Texas law to use a pseudonym for all aspects of the investigation,
- Our officers will not judge you and you will not be blamed for what occurred,
- We will treat you and your particular case with courtesy, sensitivity, dignity, understanding and professionalism,
- If you feel more comfortable talking with a female or male officer, we will do our best to accommodate your request,
- If treatment is required, we will drive you to a hospital,
- We will assist you in privately contacting rape crisis, counseling, and other available resources,
- We will fully investigate your case and will help you to achieve the best outcome. This may involve the arrest and full prosecution of the suspect responsible. You will be kept up-to-date on the progress of the investigation,
- We will continue to be available for you, to answer your questions, explain the systems and processes involved, and be a willing listener,
- We will consider your case seriously, regardless of your gender or the gender of the suspect.